Translate

====================

Friday, 24 March 2017

recap

Not much to show you from the last days, I've been on the edgings for the hanky and for the rings' pillow (both finished) and I did a few more, something with bugle beads, testing a prototype for another edging, 5 and half rounds of Renulek's doily. Two weeks ago there was an exhibition of old laces here, organized by the local association, we had a lot of fun and learned too, about the history of lace in Italy. I've also been fiddling around without the shuttle! That's the good effect of the warm weather! I've also cleaned up the balcony and repot geranium, last year I had a colony of "Licenide" that it is a little beautiful butterfly but its caterpillar lives inside geranium's stem, I hope this year they will choose another balcony for their holiday resort.
Sorry, I digressed.
That is the rings' pillow, that I call finished as it is, I'll tack it in a piece of fabric and wash it, then it will be ready to be put away, I hope it will be used one day.


Then here it is the almost finished hanky, only one corner has still to be attached to the fabric:
 Oh, don't think that it's for blowing the nose!

Ciao,
Ninetta
Related posts
daisy in corner

Friday, 10 March 2017

daisy in a corner

I've naively believed that corners were not an issue for any tatter, but I'm unsure about it now and I'd like sharing what I've done with the edging I'm currently tatting. I admit I didn't look for a pattern, if already available in internet for this edging, in fact I have made this one up taking in consideration simple tips and a bit of experience.
The simplest thing to look for is that: if the next repetition in the pattern can rotate just removing one or two joining picots. In this case you may be content as it is or would like adding a spare motif to fill in the gap. I think that it is understandable, but here it is an example (there's only one joining picot between repetitions):


I first tried with another method, that is the mirror, like in fig.885 here: http://encyclopediaofneedlework.com/chapter_16.html
I took a pic, just because I know I would have forget it immediately after removing the mirror. Of course, technology helps a poor tatter 😉


But it was obvious that the line of sloping daisies would have changed on the second side. So I tried just to bend 90° the edging:

it was quite good, because I noticed that only a joining picot should have been removed. Then I added a daisy: 6 rings are 10-8-10 and 3 rings are 10-4-4-10, these last 3 are used to connect the daisy to the edging. Only the next motif in the corner has the very first petal as Ring:14+4-10.


I've found another way to tat a corner for this edging, but the daisies are attached to the fabric instead of the leaves. I found it here: http://macrame-crochet.eu/2013/02/bordura-a-chiacchierino-con-schema/  (it is an image of a pattern taken from an old Burda magazine)

Ciao
Ninetta
Related posts

Tuesday, 7 March 2017

spring at Priscilla's time

This hanky calls for spring and those daisies do the same! (despite the color I chose!) I wonder if the tatter designed this edging in Spring.

Pattern is from Priscilla Tatting Book #2, Fig. 2 page 3. I found that it was published in 1915, but actually I don't know if this pattern is older than the book. By chance, it's the same year that my father's mum was born, in May.


Googling for "vintage tatting pattern daisy edging", it can be found a page via the wayback machine, where the same pattern is rewritten using a modern notation, this is the link: (and I hope it will work for you!)
http://web.archive.org/web/20080229045442/http:/www.wcnet.org/~scwheels/page17.htm

I've just noticed that I'm wrongly tatting the first leaf, with 14+5-9 instead of 9+5-14, but it seems working as well!

Ciao,
Ninetta
Related post

Friday, 3 March 2017

something I like

I'm enjoying tatting this white edging, I like a lot the sheer lace effect of the tiny size 100 thread. That is what I've tatted till now
 

In Pinterest, you know when they send those mails "we found this that might be right up your alley" (and of course I like it), there's the photo of an item (already sold) in ebay, " Antique Tatted Fine Deep Wide lace wedding bridal hanky Circa 1900 NWOT" (in ebay nwot is new without tags); link is here:
 http://pin.it/4kF5a_e


I'm glad that I've found such a clear photo of the edging, probably that one is not so old. I zoomed in with the facility offered by ebay and looked at the connection points between the wheels and the inner round of rings, they are perfectly visible. In a previous post, Martha Ess kindly left a comment here, saying that she tatted it years ago and added some motifs to fill in the gaps, I loved her hint. Looking at the picture in ebay, you can see that the tatter let it almost as equal as described in the Priscilla's but the little flowers connected to the inner rings are five petals (instead of four). That could be another option. But I'm still dithering, I'm also thinking about getting rid of the inner round.

Ciao,
Ninetta
Related posts:

Tuesday, 28 February 2017

another snowflake with bugle beads

I'm still playing with bugle beads, here is another motif, its size is like a little coaster:

Bugles for this pattern are 4mm. I also tatted another one with longer beads(light blue) and last round cups a little:

It's nice even without the last 2 rounds:


and here it is the stitches' count, mainly for me so I don't forget 😊 Two shuttles CTM. Twelve beads are used in the centre and loaded in one shuttle, then the second shuttle is loaded with 66 beads and used (core thread) from the second round on. First round in centre is a flower with rings, then I climbed up with a split ring, then each round climbed up with a sort of split chain, as showed in the previously shared video (see post sbrilluccicante).

Ciao,
Ninetta
Related posts:
Related posts
hopes

Thank you very much for all your nice comments.

Ciao
Ninetta