Translate

====================

====================
Dear Reader,
I share here what I like and what works for me. If you've been following me, you know that I can change my mind from time to time, and feel free to comment that I'm completely wrong, you may be right. I'm not running a business. I'm not paid and have never received any compensation or facilitation for any review/brand/site here mentioned. In case one day we'll ever meet, I'll be the one offering you a cup of Italian coffee, too.
====================

Tuesday 12 September 2017

Robin's magic tutorial

I've followed with great interest Robin's blog, lately she shared her way to recreate a magic square starting from a repeatable square (here: http://tattingbythebay.blogspot.com/2017/07/designing-magic-squares.html ), I love how she explained everything so clearly, step-by-step, and the entire process fascinated me.

I haven't tried her onion ring magic square, though. It's beautiful! But I was curious to try the process, "to embark on my own magic square journeys" (she wrote these words!).

Thank you very much Robin for the fun!

There's a square of mine that is completed in one round and it actually needed a "revision". You may don't know but the most difficult part about designing is correcting your own pattern, when you are stuck and don't now if one double stitch would improve it or get it worse. So I did many tests with this little square, I even used one version in a mat that I gave to my mum (the picture of the square is "quad_23" in the album "granny's squares" in Flickr here: https://flic.kr/p/ou5tHa and here it is the finished mat: http://ninettacaruso.blogspot.com/2016/02/prototypes.html).

I updated the pattern eventually and I like it more, I changed the length of two chains and that made a good difference. I'll share the pattern, sorry it's not yet drawn. Thread is DMC size 80, color number Light Peach 754. Then, following Robin's tutorial, I obtained my quad_23 magic square:


But then I wanted more. It seems that these magic squares are addictive, one is never enough!
Playing with Apps is always fun, just like Robin says the "virtual" tatting saves a lot of time and I was curious to see as soon as possible the bigger square. I downloaded an App called "Photo Collage editor (by Zentertain)" in my smartphone and I had the next picture in an eye-blink!


I can see the inverted square and other squares too! But I don't know if and when I will try them all!
The actual tatting is very little, but I like it and I'm going to try it in two colors.



This week I also finished the Sardinian Bosa filet lace, so I'm ready for the weekend we will have in October with the Maestre who are coming again from Sardinia.

(see the frame with my work started last year here: spare wheels  and the embroidery finished but still on the frame here: don't lose the keys (and the tatting, too) )

Ciao,
Ninetta
Related posts

5 comments:

  1. The magic squares are fascinating. I'm still contemplating working a bigger version of the patchwork one. Your filet lace is really beautiful too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I'm so glad to see you've designed a magic square. It looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your magic square is fabulous!!!! :)
    And your Sardinian Bosa filet lace is very pretty!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for sharing this pattern on Flickr. Your talent in designing tatting patterns never fails to fascinate me!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for all your nice comments.

Ciao
Ninetta